Our fifth and final installment of M. Dumas and Sons Recommends, features our favorite places from around the city to do some shopping. From original art and home goods, to gifts for friends back home, this is our must visit guide to shopping in Charleston!
Where to stay?
Centrally located, the luxurious Hotel Bennett overlooks Francis Marion Square and provides its guest with incredible amenities as well as quick access to some of the finest shopping Charleston has to offer!
Home & Interiors
- Fritz Porter: Fritz Porter is a unique experience where designers can source materials with trade pricing and consumers can find rare antiques and modern furnishings. You may not have planned on buying a new couch while on vacation, but that doesn't mean that you wont once you visit this incredible space!
- Mitchell Hill: What began as a labor of love for the city of Charleston has turned into a space that encourages local artists to create, share and experience the joy of giving back. From showstopping furniture to tasteful touches around the pad, Mitchell Hill has a little something for everyone.
The Vault on King: Situated in the heart of downtown Charleston,
The Vault on King is an epicenter of Art and Design, where fine craftsmanship and curated services merge to create a one-of-a-kind experience. This vibrant showroom, open studio and marketplace houses deluxe textiles and home furnishing, shoes and accessories from France, handmade gifts, and 10 creatives at work, offering original art and photography, handcrafted furniture and a variety of specialized services.
Celadon: Celadon brings an innovative, eclectic, fresh take on home furnishings. Quality, solid wood furniture built with clean, simplistic, European lines are the bones, while unique objects from around the world give this locally owned store a global point of view and bohemian flair.
Clothing & Accessories
- Preservation Society of Charleston: Featuring a great collection of Made in Charleston items, the Preservation Society of Charleston is the perfect place to find and support local artisans and makers!
- Croghan's Jewel Box: As the oldest family owned jewelry store in town, Croghan's Jewel Box is a treasure trove of the most exciting and unique inventory in the lowcountry. From estate and antique finds to gifts for every occasion, the store is now serving its 4th generation of customers and visitors to the Holy City.
- M.P. Demetre Jewelers: For the watch obsessed in your life, M.P. Demetre Jewelers became one of Charleston’s most respected and popular stores and is today a nationally known luxury jewelry store with loyal and satisfied customers from every area of the country.
- Maris DeHart: Maris DeHart is a contemporary women's boutique located in Charleston, South Carolina, that focuses on working with handmade artisans and designers.
- J. Stark: J.Stark makes timeless, sturdy things that will be carried with you for a lifetime. Featuring simple but thoughtful designs, the result is a product that is aesthetically minimalistic and highly functional.
- Hamden: Spacious, sophisticated shop presenting high-end designer clothing & accessories for women.
- Sneaker CHS: Sneaker is set in a historic Charleston carriage house that will make any customer feel like they are at home. The store infuses history with modern designs and textures, plus your next favorite pair of sneakers!
- Indigo & Cotton: Indigo & Cotton features understated, classic style while preserving just a hint of Charleston's distinctive look. The small storefront has quickly become known for its curated selection of fine and casual clothing, footwear and accessories.
- Ibu Movement: Ibu, pronounced ee-boo, is a movement of women around the world growing into economic self-sufficiency through the art of their hands. Working with 101 artisan groups, in 38 countries, Ibu celebrates the imagination and skill of women and puts money in their hands.
Gifts & More
- Candlefish: Candlefish is the destination for an amazing array of candles and gifts. Explore our Fragrance Library of 100 fragrances, or sign up for a candle making class.
- Old Whaling Co.: Old Whaling Company was founded in 2012 with the desire for a gentler alternative to everyday bath + body brands. Today, they pride themselves in offering products and scents that leave your skin feeling clean, moisturized and fragrant(ized).
- Blue Bicycle Books: Connecting readers and writers for more than two decades, Blue Bicycle Books is Charleston’s premier locally-owned bookstore.
- Charleston Farmer's Market: Featuring a wide array of vendors and products, the Charleston Farmer's Market is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat while you shop through some of the best Charleston makers, farmers, and artisans have to offer!